Creamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup featuring Vat 17 World Cheddar
Ahh, the comfort of warm soup and bread on a crisp evening! We’ve pushed the classic combination of cauliflower and cheese to the next level by adding Vat 17 to our Creamy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup. The sweet, yet savory Apple Bourbon Garnish complements the soup’s richness and imparts an unexpected depth of flavor.
makes 4 – 6 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T butter
- 1/4 c water
- 2 lb head of cauliflower, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 4 c chicken bone broth
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2 c Vat 17 World Cheddar, shredded
- 2 T bourbon, optional. We used J. Henry & Sons Small Batch 5 Year Aged Bourbon
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 t bourbon, optional
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for five minutes until golden brown. Add the water and cauliflower. Cook covered for approximately five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the spices into the cauliflower and cook for one minute to allow the spices to release their flavor into the cauliflower.
- Add the chicken bone broth to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the shredded Vat 17 World Cheddar in a medium sized dish. Drizzle the bourbon over the cheese and let it soak. (optional)
- While the soup is cooking, make the Apple Bourbon Garnish by melting 3 tablespoons of butter in a small fry pan. Add the onion and apples to the pan and sauté over medium heat for about 15 – 20 minutes until the mixture is a golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bourbon to the mixture (optional.)
- Once the cauliflower is tender, remove the soup from the heat and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or puree in small batches if using a countertop blender.)
- Add the cheese in handfuls to the soup, stirring gently to incorporate the cheese as it melts.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with the Apple Bourbon Garnish. Serve with warm crusty bread and a snifter of J. Henry & Sons bourbon on the side if desired. Enjoy!