Forest Mushroom & Shaved Imperial Buck Salad
Who says vegetarian meals aren’t satisfying? This salad featuring sautéed mushrooms, baby spring greens, a soft boiled egg, and The Imperial Buck is both healthy and hearty. Try this recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Umami lovers, this one’s for you!
makes 2 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 2 T butter
- 1 T shallots, minced
- 1/2 t fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 c sliced mushroom medley
- 2 t brandy or cognac, optional
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1/4 t Dijon mustard
- 2 handfuls spring greens
- 2 eggs, soft boiled
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper
- The Imperial Buck, shaved
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the minced shallots. Sauté the shallots for three to four minutes until they begin to soften. Add the thyme and the mushrooms. Continue sautéing for approximately ten minutes until the mushrooms are soft and browned. Remove the mushroom mixture from the heat and gently stir in the brandy. Set the mushrooms aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a small pan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and boil them for 5 to 5 1/2 minutes. Remove the eggs from the boiling water and rinse them under cold water to cool them a bit for handling. Gently peel the eggs, being careful not to break them. Set the eggs aside.
- To assemble the salads, divide the spring greens between two plates. Drizzle the dressing over the greens. Divide the mushrooms between the two salads and place an egg on top of each. If desired, slice the eggs open to allow the yolk to run over the salad a bit. Sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt and pepper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave generous amounts of The Imperial Buck on top of each salad, letting the warm mushrooms slightly melt the cheese. If desired, serve with a warm baguette and glass of champagne.