Spicy Cheddar Beer Soup featuring The Rattlesnake
When it’s cold and blustery outside, a steamy bowl of homemade soup is pure comfort. Our rendition of Cheddar Beer Soup is lusciously creamy and deliciously rich, with just enough heat to spice things up.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Worchester sauce
- 1 cup ale, we used TightHead Brewing Company’s Scarlet > Fire roasty red ale
- 8 oz 3 Year Reserve, shredded
- 8 oz The Rattlesnake, shredded
- Pretzel rolls
- Begin by soft boiling the red onion and garlic in the chicken broth in a small pan.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, start the roux. Melt the butter in a large pan over medium to medium-low heat. Once it is completely melted, gradually whisk in the four to form a paste. Gradually add in milk and bring to boil to thicken.
- Reduce boil. Stir in Worchester sauce and ale. Add the onion, garlic, and chicken broth mixture from the other pan. Once that is incorporated, add the cheese in handfuls letting each handful melt before adding the next one.
- Once all ingredients are added use an immersion blender to puree the soup, ensuring that the garlic, onion, and cheese is totally blended.
- Serve with a sprinkling of paprika on top and a pretzel roll on the side.