Smoky Tinga Tacos featuring The Rattlesnake
Looking to spice things up? Try these tasty Tinga Tacos topped with The Rattlesnake. They are a fresh-tasting, savory, spicy scrumptious treat.
makes approximately 15 tacos
What You’ll Need:
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into strips
- 2 large poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into strips
- 2 c The Rattlesnake, shredded
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. Andouille chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 T dried Mexican oregano
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/4 c red wine vinegar
- 1 14.5 oz. can of fire roasted, diced tomatoes. We used Muir Glen Organic.
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 15 crispy yellow corn taco shells
- shredded Iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the poblano and bell peppers in half and place them in a roasting pan, skin side up. Lightly oil the top of the peppers and roast them for approximately 30 minutes or until the skins begin to blacken. When the peppers are roasted, peel and slice them into 1/2 strips.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken strips and sauté about 10 minutes until the chicken is just barely cooked through.
- Add the roasted peppers, sliced onion, minced garlic, and sliced sausage to the skillet and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low. Add the oregano, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth to the pot, mixing well. Simmer the tinga mixture about 45 minutes until almost all of the liquid has cooked down.
- To assemble the tacos, place a generous amount of the shredded iceberg lettuce in the bottom of each crispy taco shell. Sprinkle a layer of The Rattlesnake over the lettuce, adjusting the amount of cheese for the amount of spicy heat desired, but watch out, The Rattlesnake is hot! Fill the shells with the chicken tinga mixture and garnish with a bit more of the shredded lettuce and The Rattlesnake.
- Serve with ice cold cervezas.