Vat 17, Kale, and Chicken Sausage Turnovers
While cheering on the Final Four this weekend, score big by serving these tasty Vat 17, Kale, and Chicken Sausage Turnovers at your watch party!
makes 18 turnovers
What You’ll Need:
- 1 package frozen puffed pastry sheets
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 sweet apple chicken sausages, diced
- 1 5 oz. box of baby kale, chopped
- 1 c Vat 17, shredded
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 t red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- 1 T water
- Thaw puffed pastry sheets.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. Add the chopped onion and continue cooking for an additional 8 – 10 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the chopped sausages. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the kale. Add the kale, salt, and red pepper flakes to the pan and mix well to incorporate all of the ingredients. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes until the kale is wilted.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 9 equal squares. Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the sausage mixture into the center of each square. Top each spoonful of the sausage mixture with a generous sprinkling of Vat 17.
- Make an egg wash by whisking the egg together with 1 tablespoon of water. Using your finger, spread some of the egg wash along the edges of one of the pastry squares.
- Fold the pastry square in half to form a triangle and crimp the edges with a fork to ensure a tight seal. Continue with the other squares.
- Bake the turnovers at 425 degrees for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot from the oven. The cooked turnovers can be frozen and reheated at 350 degrees.