Smoky Bacon, Roasted Red Pepper, and Rattlesnake Corn Bread
Bring some heat to your homestyle cooking with this savory corn bread recipe! We think that this tasty side makes a perfect accompaniment for backyard barbecues and summer get-togethers. The Rattlesnake and roasted red pepper spice up classic corn bread, and bacon always makes everything even better.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 c The Rattlesnake, shredded (more if you prefer extra heat)
- 1 c Deer Creek 3 Year Reserve, shredded
- 1 1/4 c cornmeal
- 3/4 c flour
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 3/4 c frozen corn, cooked and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c milk
- 1 c buttermilk
- 3 T butter, melted
- To roast the red pepper, drizzle a little olive oil on a baking pan and place the pepper on the pan. Roll the pepper in the oil to coat it. Place the pan in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes until the skin begins to blacken. Using a tongs, flip the pepper over and continue roasting for a additional 25 minutes, or until the skin is charred.
- Remove the pepper from the oven and place it in a brown paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over to allow the pepper to steam inside the bag. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, remove it from the bag and peel, seed, and dice the pepper.
- Cook the bacon according to package directions. Using a tongs, place the cooked bacon on paper towel to drain. Set aside to let cool. Once cooled, crumble the bacon.
- Meanwhile, shred the cheeses and set them aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the corn, eggs, milk, buttermilk, and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix to combine all of the ingredients. Gently fold in the crumbled bacon, diced pepper, and shredded cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Spread the batter evenly and bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting. Serve warm.
makes approximately 12 servings